The Right Hair Colors for Your Skin Tone
Get the right hair colors for your skin tone in sync!
Your skin tone plays a major role when determining what the right hair color is for you. And, getting the right hair colors for your skin tone right is not as easy as product manufacturers might have you think. One thing you may have learned the hard way from box hair color is, ‘what you see is not what you get.’ A note to the wise . . . always read the chart on the back to determine what hair color you can expect to come out with when put on your strands.
“The Right Hair Colors for Your Skin Tone”
Back to your skin tone, the right hair colors for your skin tone can make you glow, or even melt away the years.The wrong hair color for your skin tone will make you look sallow, sickly, worn out or freaky! And if that’s not bad enough, harsh contrasts or flat tonalities will emphasize lines and angles, Yikes! So, what is the right hair colors for your skin tone?
You may be stumped as to whether you fall into the warm or cool category when determining the right hair colors for your skin tone. Here are some questions to answer that will help. Using the basic color chart above, which colors look best on you?
- What color are your eyes?
- What is your natural hair color?
- What are the color of your veins on your inner wrist?
You are a COOL tone if:
- Your eyes are deep brown, black brown, gray blue or dark blue, hazel with gray, white, or blue flecks
- Your natural hair color is black, deep coffee brown, medium ash brown, dishwater blonde, salt and pepper, white
- Your skin tone is, dark brown, brown with pink undertones, olive as most Asians and Latinos, medium with no color in cheeks or pink cheeks, medium with golden undertones, pale with no color in cheeks or pink undertones or brown or bronze when you tan.
- Your veins on your inner wrist are blue
You are a WARM tone if:
- Your eyes are — golden brown, green, green blue or turquoise, hazel with gold or brown flecks
- Your natural hair color is — deep brown with gold or red high lights, medium golden brown, auburn, red, strawberry blond, golden blond, gray with a yellow cast
- Your skin tone is — brown with golden undertones, pale with peach or gold undertones, freckled, ruddy or golden brown when you tan.
- Your veins on your inner wrist are green
For more great looks check out our Pinterest Hairstyles for Warm Skin Tones Board
What if you cross over the lines and have both warm and cool traits?
The most basic principles of color theory applies when trying to find the right hair color and your skin tone. Take a look in your closet and see if you see a trend happening here. Using the color chart, what colors look best on you warm or cool? If you can’t be objective, ask a few friends whose opinions you value. It’s easier to evaluate what we like on others than on ourselves don’t you think?
Find the Right Hair Colors for your Skin Tone
Here are the basics for what hair colors will go well with your skin tone. But, I need to emphasize that all hair colors have different values, or how deep or light they can be formulated and that will also have a bearing if the hair color will be right for your skin tone.
Natural Cool Skin Tones Can Wear:
- Cool ash browns
- Cool blondes
- Unnatural colors like blue, orchid, fusias
Natural Cool Skin Tones Should Avoid:
- Bronze tones
Natural Warm Skin Tones Can Wear:
- Deep Chocolate
- Rich golden browns
- Warm gold and red high lights
- Golden blond shades
- Natural looking coral, oranges and reds
Natural Warm Skin Tones Should Avoid:
- Jet Black
If you want beautiful, multi-dimensional hair color like you see on the celebrities, you should leave it to the pros. Even if you are set on coloring your hair at home, it could benefit you to consult with a hair colorist first. They may or may not try to talk you into their chair, but they also can evaluate your hair and skin tone and give you direct hands-on advice.
Other Articles You Might Enjoy
Leave your comments (31), Your input matters.
31 Comments »